Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cinnamon Buns

Today's adventures started early.  5AM early.  I'm not sure why, but lately my eyes open at 4:45AM and I don't always get back to sleep.  Like this morning...My eyes opened at 4:30AM and unfortunately, that was it for my sleep.  So I got out of bed at 5AM and thought, "I guess I'll try that "Quick Cinnamon Biscuits" recipe from Cook's Illustrated - Baking."

I'm not exactly sure what went wrong...I'm quite certain I followed the directions.  And I can't imagine the cook book is wrong.  Let's just say that the dough was FAR too wet to knead "for about 30 seconds" (as suggested in the book) without adding an additional 1/2 cup flour.  There was TWICE as much cinnamon-sugar filling as needed.

But in the end, they cooked up just fine - though sickeningly sweet.  Which is difficult for me to say ( as I sit here eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream with toffee covered peanuts).  I'm not going to post the recipe here, because I'm still not sure about the copyright laws and all that.  In general though, I really do like this cook book.  For someone who is still learning, it's an interesting read.  And because I am an engineer, I really appreciate the scientific process which they followed to come to their conclusions and recommendations.
 These are the buns before baking.  Just look at all that cinnamon-sugar filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment