Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake

We have a garden and every year we plant zucchini.  Usually 2-3 plants.  Now, I'm not sure if you've ever grown zucchini, but with enough sun and water ONE plant could feed a small country.  And we plant 2-3. So I have zucchini stuffed in every place I can find space.  I'm tripping over them!  You think I'm exaggerating.  I have eight zucchini in the house right now.  All ranging in size from 1-3lbs.  And that's after my husband brings them into work to share with anyone who will take them.


At first, people are glad to receive the bountiful harvest from our garden...After a few weeks though, I need to get creative.  Thus, today's topic, the double chocolate zucchini cake.  It's based on the same premise as the carrot cake.  If you add enough sugar and fat, you can hide all kinds of veggies in a cake, with the added bonus that the zucchini makes the cake really moist.  So moist that I sometimes have a difficult time getting it out of the pan.  Like this morning.  Look at this....Isn't it lovely?



Maybe next time I'll cover the bottom with parchment paper.  And I don't think I'll use the pyrex pan again.  The glass holds onto the heat and maybe that's contributing to the stickiness.

OK, so here's the recipe.

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c butter, softened
3 eggs
1/2 c oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c soured milk (1/2 T. lemon juice + milk to make 1/2 c)
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
4 T. Baking cocoa
2-3 c. grated zucchini
1/2-1c chocolate chips
Cream together the butter and sugars, in a large bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment.
Sift together the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and cocoa in a medium bowl and set aside.
Add to the butter and sugar mixture the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk.  Beating on med-low just until combined.
Add the flour mixture and stir until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
Bake in a 13x9 in baking dish greased with cooking spray in a 325 degree F oven for 45-60mins.  The baking time can vary based on the amount of zucchini you include.

Now this cake is good eaten plain but to make it super rich and decadent, cover in cream cheese frosting.  YUM!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment