Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Streusel Topped Peach-Blueberry Pie

(I wrote this post about a week ago and just recently got the photos that I took with someone else's camera.  Keep that in mind while reading the timeframes mentioned.)

This one is right out of my Pillsbury Complete Cookbook, which I really like by the way.  In fact I was able to find the recipe on their website and if you'd like to view it, click here.

Oops.  I went a little crazy in the blueberry patch again.
We were given more than a half dozen peaches a week or so ago as a host gift for inviting our friends Mo and Jamie over for dessert (double chocolate zucchini cake) and a fire.  Thank you Mo and Jamie...We ate a bunch and still had 4 small ones left, until I NEEDED to bake something.  So into the books I went to find something peachy.  I wanted to make a cobbler, but didn't have enough peaches.  I think the cobbler recipe I was eyeing required 6 cups of peeled and sliced peaches.  Then I found a picture that looked good and only required 4 cups.  And if I added some blueberries I knew I could swing it.  Plus I went a little crazy and picked another 11 pints of blueberries.  So I have to start stuffing blueberries into everything I make for the next few days.

I was feeling lazy and frugal, so instead of making my own crust...I used the single left-over Pillsbury pie crust I had in the fridge.  I know, I'm sure I just lost a viewer for admitting to using store bought pie crust.  And I'm filled with shame...Wait, no I'm not.  Life gets busy and though my mother would try to make me feel guilty about not doing EVERYTHING from scratch, the truth is that sometimes it's just easier.  And these pie crusts are pretty tasty.  I just wish they were a little bigger since the pie plates I own seem to be deep-dish 9" plates and those pillsbury crusts need to be stretched a bit to fit.

My whole house is filled with the scent of baked cinnamon and sugar.  Gotta LOVE it!  So why not share this dessert with family?  Call up Paul's mom and ask if we can come to her house for dessert and a change of scenery for us.  After dinner?  Great.  Only one problem...there's a storm comin'.  Well, it's just a little weather, or at least that's what I said to Eileen when she called to say don't bother coming out in this weather.  I didn't think it was rainy that hard.  But by the time we got everyone ready, boots on, coats on, pie in the carrier waiting by the door, it had turned into what I'd say is the closest thing to hurricane conditions that I've ever since.  But that didn't stop us from dashing the 10 feet from the end of our garage door to the van parked in the driveway.  By the time we all jumped into the van we were soaked. I couldn't see the end of the driveway and the sky was the strangest shade of yellow-orange.  We drove slowly the 3/4 of a mile to grandma's house only to dash from the van into her garage and get soaked again.  Luckily when it was time to head home, the storm had passed and the sky was clearing.  The pie tasted good and we all had a nice visit...But I'm not sure I would venture out again in hurricane like weather to share some pie.

The first strange thing I noticed was the small hibiscus tree near the garage was at a 45 degree angle pointed toward the driveway.  I walked around the corner and to see that everything has been pushed AWAY from the house.  The wheelbarrow, garbage tote and all the plants are pushed away from the side of the house.  The lid to our deck container (those big plastic containers that hold the cushions for the patio furniture) is across the lawn but the bottom is missing.  Wait, I see it, across the yard in the other direction.  Walk around the back of the house and the gas grill (200 pounds and on wheels), has been push across the deck and spun 180 degrees from it's original position.  But the towel that was draped on the railing right next to the grill is still in place, like there wasn't any wind at all.  WEIRD.  Micro burst.  We had something like this happen last summer too.  Some trees were broken and battered, while others nearby seemingly untouched.

What was I talking about again?  Oh yeah, pie!



Check out the recipe.  Peaches are coming into season and blueberries are still going strong.  Remember buy local (go to LocalHarvest.org) and enjoy a slice of the good life with fresh fruit desserts.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment