Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mocha Mousse Cake it's oh-so-good

The more things I try from the Confetti Cakes Cookbook, the more I like the book.  This time I tried the chocolate cake recipe.  Although the baking times were WAY off for my oven, the cake turned out quite nicely.  It was chocolatey and fairly moist.  Although, I would absolutely recommend allowing this cake to sit completely filled and frosted for a few hours to a full day before serving...As it was far more moist and tastey the second day.  What sets this cake apart from the chocolate-cake-wanna-be recipes I've tried in the past, is the use of both vanilla AND almond extracts as well as strong brewed coffee.  While I knew that coffee tends to bring out the chocolate flavor, it never occurred to me to include almond extract.  Almonds go very well with chocolate so it's no surprise that this flavor lights up this cake.

Now, please don't be confused...Elisa Strauss from Confetti Cakes does NOT call this chocolate cake recipe Mocha Mousse.  Instead, I used this cake recipe as the base for another favorite recipe of mine, Mocha Mousse cake from Betty Crocker.  Betty's recipe calls for a box cake, but I'm trying to go more "from scratch" these days.  I love the mocha mousse filling, though it doesn't have the structural support for stacked and decorated cakes.  In fact I whipped this cake together and rushed it over to my in-law's house without letting it set-up in the fridge for 2 hours as suggested.  As a result, the cake was leaning a bit...as you might be able to see from the photo.  Leaning or not it tasted good, and it has already become my chocolate cake recipe of choice.


This is a relatively short post, as I'm working on a monster cake for this weekend.  Check out the Confetti Cakes Cookbook in my Amazon Astore!  (see the link to the left of this post)  Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment