Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Have I been baking too much?

Because my oven died last night.

I was preheating for another double chocolate zucchini cake.  I was scraping down the mixing bowl with my back to the oven when I heard POP.  And saw, out of the corner of my eye, a flash of light.  OMG!  What was that?!  I spin around and the oven display is blank.  I reach out and slowly open the oven door, as if sparks were going to leap out at me when I opened the door...Seems silly now, but felt like the right thing to do at the time.  The light is on, no smoke or fire.  Then it's starts beeping at me and flashing "F1" on the display.  OK, what is going on here?  I'm starting to freak out.

I hit clear-off.  It stops and seems happy. Though now that I think about it, I don't think the clock was displaying at that point.  Run to see if my husband is close by, but he's taken the kids up to get the mail and he's at the road.  I have a LONG driveway.  OK, get the owner's manual...But it's beeping again.  CRAP.  I'm freaking out a bit more now and worried it's going to catch on fire and burn my house down while I'm looking for the STUPID manual!  Where is it!!!

Run down stairs with it still beeping it's warning that I can only assume is a self destruct timer about to go off.  Run through the maze that is our basement to the electrical breaker box.  Flip the first switch marked kitchen.  RATS!  That's not it I can still hear it from upstairs...Starting to panic a bit more now.  Wait a minute, could it be this one that says "STOVE"?  Flip that one and all is quiet.  Back of upstairs. No fire.  Good.  Manual?  Where are you?  FOUND it.  sigh of relief.

Manual:  "F1 indicates the electronic controls have detected a fault."
Me:         "REALLY?  NO S@#$!  What's the fault?  What just happened?"
Manual:  "Unplug the range, wait 30 seconds and plug it in again. If the fault code reappears with a continuous beep unplug and call for service."
Me:         "I just heard a POP and saw a flash of light coming from my oven and YOU want me to plug it back in?"
Manual:  "Unplug the range..."
Me:         "Fine!"

I get Paul to bring everyone back inside so that the whole family will be together when the thing blows up as he flips it on at the breaker while I wait and watch for F1 and the self destruct warning.
Great idea.
Luckily, it doesn't blow up.   The F1 fault doesn't come back but when I try to set the clock, it's not responding properly.  "Shut it off." I scream to Paul who's still in the basement.  I'll call for service in the AM.

Well, half a dozen or more calls to the service folks and this is the story.  They are booked and can't schedule service until Tuesday or Thursday of next wk.  They looked up the fault code and they talked me through resetting it and I was able to get the clock and timer to work.  The stove top is functioning but the oven and broiler stay cold even when I asked it nicely to turn on.  Meanwhile, I brought the cake batter over to my mother-in-law's house and baked it up over there.  I had also intended to make zucchini muffins last night was well. (can you tell that my zucchini plants are still reproducing like rabbits out there?)  I guess that will just have to wait for repairs and we'll use the grill for our dinners these next few days.

It's true.  Life really is an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment