Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Candied Butternut Squash

We eat a lot of butternut squash.




In part, I suppose that's because we grow a lot of butternut squash.  This year's crop was small and strange compared to last year. And by small I mean only 20 squash.  Well, last year we grew about 50.  But strange because half of them looked like this.



No that is NOT a pumpkin, it's a butternut squash.  Really.  Maybe we (our garden and the bees) created a new variety.  Let's call them butterkins.  Or maybe pumpnuts?



Maybe not.



Anywho, I baked one up the other night and it tasted like squash.  I'm not sure why I was worried,  since anything tastes good with enough butter and brown sugar.


Which is exactly how I served this squash.  I baked it up as usual and then pureed it with butter, a little apple cider and brown sugar.  But to send it right over the top I made a butter brown sugar syrup with the help of some cinnamon and apple cider.




Vegetables.  Yup.  I can make those taste like dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment