Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cornbread is comfort food

I love cornbread.



My husband thinks it's dry and dull, but I love it.  It's crumbly coarse texture and slightly sweet flavor.  My mom made cornbread fairly regularly and I always had seconds and then ate all the left-overs over the course of the next few days.

Warmed with butter and a touch of honey, it's a perfect mid-afternoon snack with a cup of tea.  I also love that it's easy to make with ingredients that are usually already in your cupboards.




This is my mother's recipe...In that it's the one she used.  I don't know it's origins.

Cornbread
From: Source Unknown

1 c yellow cornmeal
1 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c sugar (this time I substituted honey)
4 tsp baking powder
1 c milk
1 egg
1/4 c vegetable oil (this time I substituted melted butter)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Grease 8-inch square pan.
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
Combine milk and egg and beat together.
Add milk mixture and butter to dry ingredients, then add honey and mix just until combined.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool slightly but serve warm with butter and a drizzle of honey.



I think I'll have another piece right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment