Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gratitude Cake

I know...I've been absent lately.  I'm telling you, when my mixer attempted suicide, it really shook me up.  I was afraid to bake.  And then of course there's the Twilight factor.



Twilight Factor?  Yeah, I got sucked into the Twilight saga.  Many times I'm late to the party.  Figuratively and literally.  So I'm just now getting into Twilight.  I'm in the library and I see Breaking Dawn Part One DVD in the new release section the other day and pick it up thinking it's the first movie... Yeah, that's how out of the loop I was about the whole thing.  Luckily I figured it out before watching it.  But I was curious when I saw that movie on the shelf.  I'm thinking what's the big deal with these books and movies any ways?

The first movie, Twilight, was OK.  It was good enough to get me interested in the story and want to find out what happens next.  I made it through the teenage drama.

The second movie was better.  I am in the Jacob groupie club!  I personally feel that he did not take his clothes off enough!!  Love the muscles, thank you for that.  The teenage drama was still there but didn't seem as annoying.

Third movie was the best thus far.  I'm still very much in the Jacob club.  LOVED the "this should have been our first kiss" scene.  I will admit to watching it over and over again(along with all the other Jacob scenes).  And I think one reason I like these movies is that it takes me back to when I was young and in love-lust.  Not that I was ever part of a werewolf-vampire-human triangle...But I remember feeling so passionately about my current crush that I'd get so breathless and nervous in his presence that I would literally tremble.

I've been married for 8 years now...And as most people who have been married a while will admit, that young love fire lessens a bit over time.  The fire doesn't go out it's just not so wild.  It becomes a smolder, which is still very hot but not as showy.  And every now and then something comes along to fan the flames a bit.  And so I will indulge in the teenage drama and trip down memory lane and let it fan the flames of my love for Paul.




And what, you may be asking, does all this have to do with cake or baking?  NOTHING.  It's merely a peak into my latest obsession that has kept me out of the kitchen.

So then let's talk about this cake...I'm calling this a gratitude cake because I have a great friend, who's been SO generous and supportive of me this past year.  After getting laid-off last year, he has been my most constant friend.  Out of the 100s of people I used to work with, he's really been a true friend to me.  I can never repay him for all his kindnesses...But I can bake.  So he gets cake.  Red Velvet cake covered and filled with cream cheese frosting and decorated simply with fondant.

I'm trying my hand at decorations inspired by clothing.  In my mind this cake was to have a fabric ruffle and some "fabric" flowers.  But the fondant I had wanted to use was really loose.  It was sticky and wouldn't hold its shape.  So I changed the design a bit and the color scheme and came up with what you see here.  And after it was done I took a step back and realized that it gave the distinct impression of a garter belt.  



Thanks Rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment