Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dragon Cake


My kids (twin girls, 2.5yrs old) LOVE the movie How to train your dragon!  When we first bought it, they watched it over and over and over again, at least once a day for a month.  (Usually they would only watch parts of the movie, I like to limit the amount of TV they watch each day.)  I am currently reading Debbie Brown's Gorgeous and Gruesome Cakes for Children book.  And I search for Debbie's cake images on the web quite often.  I came across her baby dragon cake and knew that I had to make a version of it for my kids.

Now I don't own the Debbie Brown's Magical Cakes book, which I believe this baby dragon came from, and I've never even looked at it... so I was making it up as I went along.  Checking the web images and just winging it in general.  My dragon is not a great rendition, but it's not that bad either.

I used the butter sponge cake recipe from Debbie's Gorgeous book and the proportions for her dotty dog recipe.  I filled it with chocolate ganache, following the recipe from The Confetti Cakes Cookbook, by Elisa Strauss & Christie Matheson (another good book).  I even used the ganache to crumb coat the cakes.  Then I found a chocolate marshmallow fondant recipe on the CakeCentral.com forums site.  It was quite soft.  Very pliable...Almost too much.  But I'm going to say that it's my fault....I'll have to try that recipe again and see if I get the same results.  The chocolate marshmallow fondant tastes like Tootise Rolls.



I had some leftover chocolate clay from another cake and used that for wings, nostrils ears and eyes.  I actually used a sleigh cookie cutter to make the wings.  They looked a bit like butterfly wings...So maybe I'd use a different shape for dragon wings the next time.  I had some leftover white MMF from the bassinet cake and used that for the eyes and horns.

My kids liked it and could figure out that it was supposed to be a dragon.  So I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment