Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Autumn is Apple Season


I love this time of year.  The air changes and the breezes get cooler.  The nights are chilly but many of the days are warm.  The trees put on their fancy clothes...cloaking themselves in brilliant shades of red, yellow, and orange.  Shuffling through the fallen leaves that have blanketed the ground.  Turning on the oven to bake up something hardy and filling is a welcome change to the heat of the summer.


Yup, this is definitely my favorite time of year.  And what better way to celebrate the arrival of autumn than with Apples!  Apple slices for snacking, apple cider for sipping and apple crisp to finish off a bright autumn day.


Apple crisp is such a simple dish to prepare.  Apple slices peeled and sprinkled with sugar and topped with a mixture of oats, flour, brown sugar, butter and some spice.  Bake it for a half hour or so and then enjoy!  I got my recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  The first one I made was gone that night, so I made up another one the next day for us to enjoy a little longer.  Served warm and paired with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice-cream, this is pure joy in my mouth.

Layers of apples and topping.
Pick up a bag of apples at your local orchard today and start enjoying autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment