Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Cookies

I am not a cookie person...At least I'm not a cookie baking kind of person.


You can't stick a toothpick inside to tell if they're done, so I either cook them too long or not enough.



Growing up my mom made cookies, but decorating them meant smearing a little frosting on and then adding sprinkles.  Which was fine.



They tasted great, but would not win awards for looks.  So I'm trying my hand at really decorating cookies.



Can you say time consuming?  Holy Smokes!



They took FOREVER.  And I'm sorry, I just don't like the taste of Royal Icing.


Sure it's amazing stuff.  But taste, is not part of that.  I guess I'll have to experiment with that at some point.


And because this blog SHOULD have been called, "Clutz in the Kitchen" as I was staging my cookies with a tall glass of milk...


 yup, you guessed it...I had to spill it all over everything.


 Did you catch that?  I dumped a FULL glass of ice cold milk all over my cookies, the table, my tripod and the floor.  All before 9AM.


What a great way to start my day.

Mary's Sugar Cookies
From: Betty Crocker's Cooky Book

1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 c butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tarter

MIX sugar and butter.  Add egg and flavorings; mix thoroughly.  Stir dry ingredients together and blend in.  Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours (I think I acutally left mine over night.  Though you should cover the bowl.)

PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Divide dough in half and toll 3/16 inch thick on a floured surface.  Cut with cooky cutter; sprinkle with sugar (I did NOT do this).  Place on lightly greased baking sheet (on one lined with parchment paper as I did).

BAKE 7 to 8 minutes, or until delicately golden.  Makes about 5 dozen 2-inch cookies.

FROST with your favorite icing.


Happy HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment