Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Failed Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Look at all this butter...


This was supposed to be the start of something really good.  Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting.

BUT.


It never whipped to the "stiff meringue" consistency.  Boo!



I am following a recipe from Confetti Cakes Cookbook, which I love and has not failed me, until now.  And I was hesitant to make this frosting.  In fact, I've been putting it off for a while now.  I finally got my courage up, combined 20oz (that's over a pound of sugar folks), 10oz of pasteurized egg whites (this was mostly like my problem) in a bowl over boiling water and mixed until the sugar was dissolved.

Then into the mixing bowl on high for 10 minutes, and maybe 5 minutes more...Maybe it's not cool enough.  "I'll put in the refrigerator for a few minutes and then whip it some more."

Well, after all that, I admitted defeat.  Thankfully, I didn't try adding my 5 sticks of cubed and softened butter.  But now, what to do with all that failed meringue?  It tastes a bit like marshmallow fluff.


Oh well, if I figure out what to do with it I'll post an update.  Until then I guess we chalk it up to kitchen lessons.  And if the box says "not recommended for meringues", I'll believe the box instead of the cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment