Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Bake through a cookbook - week 1 Brownies

I know what your thinking...



Gee-Whiz, couldn't you have picked anything with a little more pizzaz?  Maybe, but I like to win.  So let's start this project out right, with an easy win.  And I must say Brownies are both easy and a win.



In fact, it's hard to beat brownies, unless of course you turn it into a brownie sundae, complete with homemade cookies and cream ice-cream and homemade chocolate syrup.  But that's just the way I roll.  You give me a delightful dessert and I can trash it up with more sugar and sweet than some people eat in their entire life.  Of course, those people don't live in my house - so it's cool.




I don't make brownies that often.  And I'm not sure why that is, seeing as how they are VERY nice to eat and quite simple to make.  And I can not tell you how wonderful my kitchen house smells at this very moment.  It is taking everything in my being not to rush into the kitchen and shovel the ENTIRE pan into my face, before anyone comes home and knows I've been baking.  Though I fear the after-glow of a brownie induced coma might give it away, and then of course there would be the crumbs.  My husband's pretty quick, I think he would figure out what happened so I'd better maintain control.

Now where was I, oh yes, simple to make.



Brownies
From:  Williams-Sonoma Desserts cook book, Page 30

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces, plus extra for greasing
3 oz, unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (optional - but who are they kidding here?)

PREHEAT the oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish, preferably glass. (Which surprised me)
IN a saucepan over low heat, combine the butter and chopped unsweetened chocolate.  Heat, stirring often, until melted, about 4 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir i the sugar and salt.  Add the eggs and vanilla and stir until well blended.  Sprinkle the sifted flour over the mixture and stir just until blended.  Stir in the chips.
POUR the batter into the prepared dish and spread evenly.  Bake the brownies until a toothpick inserted in to the center comes out almost clean, about 30 minutes or longer if using a metal pan.  Do not over bake.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting.
Makes 9 good sized brownies.



Now go make these for your self and your family if you must share.

No comments:

Post a Comment