Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Chocolate pudding

Have you ever wondered what to do with left over egg yolks?






Me too.  Especially since I discovered swiss meringue buttercream.  See this butter cream uses 10 oz of egg whites.  That's 9 large eggs!  Leaving behind lots and lots of yolks.  There's ice-cream, which I love and make regularly.   But I only have so much freezer space.

Enter pudding.  Now I'm not talking about powder in a box, just add milk pudding (which is nice once in a while - don't get me wrong).  I'm talking about milk, sugar, egg yolks and standing in front over the stovetop for what seemed like an entire year!






But you know what?  It was worth it.  It really was.  I'm enjoying a bowl right now and thinking about
how I'm going to modify this recipe to change up the flavor.  I love Nutella, so I'm thinking of adding a bit of hazelnut flavoring.  And I really like the texture of it.  It some how feels different on the tongue than pudding mix.

Chocolate Pudding
From: Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 c sugar
2 T. cornstarch
4 egg yolks
2 2/3 c milk

COMBINE cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and milk in medium saucepan.  Stir and cook over medium heat until bubbly, continue to cook for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Place egg yolks in small bowl and lightly beat.  While whisking the egg yolks add about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture.  Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk and bring to a gently boil, continue to cook another 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and pour into heat proof bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap contacts the surface of the pudding to prevent a skim from forming.  Chill.



Pudding as an afternoon snack.  I feel like a kid again!

No comments:

Post a Comment